Thursday, April 20, 2006

Mash banana, mash banana!

Yes, I am happily mashing bananas in the kitchen. Apparently most recipes don't require a lot of bananas. So I end up using one banana each in 3 recipes.

First recipe was very very simple: Banana Corn Muffins, which only 3 ingredients are required-- banana + 1/2 cup milk + 1 box of jiffy corn muffin mix. I only used my measuring cup to mix all three ingredients together. Though simple, the recipe is a loser. The muffins turn out dry and grainy. I wasted one banana in this experiment.

Now, I am down with two very ripe bananas. I struggle between risking another loser recipe or repeat a tried and true banana cake recipe. After checking the index pages of all my cookbooks,


I decided to try the one from Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Bread Bible". Being an authoritative figure in the baking world, I believe she knows her stuff. Besides, my friend MY in Brisbane constantly uses her recipes, so I decide to go for it!

I make 2 variations using her recipes, one as Banana poppy seed bread and another one as Banana chocolate chips muffins. These seemingly unassuming bread and muffins taste really nice. I love the subtle lemon taste from 1 tespoon of lemon zest. What a clever twist on a classic banana cake recipe!


Now, I hope it can last till we have our picnic on Sunday.....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails