Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Korean Enoki Pancakes

Enoki pancake


This is a recipe I chanced upon on a chinese blog. Not only is she talented in baking and cooking, this blogger has also stayed at some interesting foodie capitals like Paris, Seoul and Taiwan. As much as I enjoyed drooling at her delicious-looking creations, I never attempted any recipe from her blog.

This Korean Enoki Pancake is indeed the first recipe I made from her beautiful blog. Because I absolutely adore mushrooms of all kinds, I figure I would give this interesting pancake a try. The moment I took a bite of the addictive appetizer, I was sold. It is unfathomable on why the simple combination of enoki mushroom, minced carrot, green onion, egg and flour can be so tasty. And more importantly, why didn't I think of this myself? Although the recipe makes 4-6 serving, I almost finished eating the whole plate on my own! Because certain ingredients that she used are not readily available in US, I took the liberty to make some adjustments.

Over the weekend, I have bought a packet of enoki mushroom from the Asian grocery store again, and there will be no doubt of where it will end up.


Enoki pancake


Korean Enoki Pancakes

1 pack enoki mushroom
1-2 tbsp minced carrot
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2tbsps finely chopped green onion (or more)
2 tbsps all purpose flour
salt and pepper, to taste

Remove enoki mushroom from its packaging and cut off the root. Rinse under water and pat dry. Cut the mushroom into half, lengthwidth.

Add carrot and green onion to enoki mushroom in a wide, shallow bowl, and sprinkle flour on top of all ingredients. Pour in egg and season with salt and pepper.

Heat a non-stick pan and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Divide the batter into 6 parts, and pour one part into the pan. Spread it out, like a fan until it's as thin as a piece of paper. Fry till one side become golden yellow, then turn and fry the other side to the same color. Do the same with the rest of the batter.

Serve immediately with asian chilli sauce. Or tartar sauce. (I haven't tried this out yet but figure it should taste lovely).

makes 6 portions.

6 comments:

Anh said...

Oh Mandy, this must be a delicious pancake! I love enoki, and you have inspired me with a new idea. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I love korean pancakes :)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

This looks delicious. I've never tried enoki mushrooms, so this would be an entirely new taste for me.

Belinda said...

These pancakes look so pretty, and sound delicious. I live in a fairly small town, and I'm 99% certain I couldn't find enoki mushrooms, but I would love to try these. :-)

eatme_delicious said...

Yum this is so different and looks and sounds so tasty!

Jinnie said...

I bought a pack of enoki mushroom that I don't know what to do with (forgot to put it in the stew I made the other day.) So glad I came across your site because the pancake looks delish. I'm going to make it for tonight.

Related Posts with Thumbnails